- OS Type: Linux
- Based on: Arch
- Origin: Philippines
- Architecture: i686,x86_64
- Desktop: GNOME
- Category: Desktop,Live Medium
- Status: Active
What is KahelOS?
KahelOS is a Linux distribution based on Arch Linux. Its desktop edition comes with pre-configured GNOME as the default desktop environment, GNOME Office productivity suite, Epiphany web browser, GIMP image manipulation program, and other popular GTK+ and GNOME applications.
Like Arch Linux, KahelOS maintains a rolling-release model of updating software packages using its parent’s repositories. The distribution comes in the form of a live DVD which includes a graphical installation program.
KahelOS comes with a bunch of applications installed, more than many other distributions that use GNOME 3 that have been reviewed on this website.
The list includes:
- Epiphany, Firefox 8 and Chromium 15 Web browsers. Firefox 9 and Chromium 16 are also available for installation
- ClamTK, a graphical frontend for ClamAV anti-virus
- Dia diagram editor
- GIMP, a Photoshop-like application, though it is not necessarily as easy to use as Phototshop
- Scribus desktop publishing
- Pidgin and Empathy IM clients
- Ekiga softphone
- Evolution and Thunderbird email clients
- FreeMind, a mind-mapping and knowledge-building software
- GnuCash, a personal finance manager
- Moiro, a music and video player
- mhWaveEdit, a program for editing, playing and recording video files
- Zim Desktop Wiki
Let’s all be PROUD,
Spread The Love = Spread KahelOS 🙂